[dba-SQLServer] Index information

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Tue Dec 15 10:15:51 CST 2009

This any use

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1038

martin

Martin WP Reid
Information Services
The Library at Queen's
Tel : 02890976174
Email : mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Sharepoint Training Portal
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com [dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of jwcolby [jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com]
Sent: 15 December 2009 16:08
To: Dba-Sqlserver
Subject: [dba-SQLServer] Index information

In viewing an execution plan, as I hover over the index seek icon I see a bunch of information
including estimated number of rows.

This leads me to wonder whether SQL Server has statistics somewhere about the total number of actual
data elements in each index.  IOW how many data elements are in this field, as observed in the index
for that field?

When I am done with my indexing, I will have a single column index on every field, and if the
information is available I could get a gross count for each field which would be useful for the client.