[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server ODBC optimization

Doug Murphy dw-murphy at cox.net
Thu Feb 5 18:42:18 CST 2009

Folks,

I sent this to the AccessD list with no responses. Possibly some one on this
list can share their insight in how best to use an Access front end
connected to a SQL Server BE via ODBC. What I am trying to learn is how to
do this most efficiently from the SQL Server perspective.  Do you use
queries from Access, move all queries to SQL server and pass parameters
where required, etc.

I am know that there are some design guidelines that should be followed with
designing a system with an Access front end connected to a SQL Server back
end via ODBC to obtain good performance. This is a pretty broad question,
but could any of you folks who do this on a regular basis provide a list of
the techniques and design approaches you follow or point me to some
references? I am not looking for a treatise on the subject just a list of
items to be aware of and good design practices.

Thanks in advance.

Doug