[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server ODBC optimization

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Fri Feb 6 08:35:06 CST 2009

Hi Doug,

A few months ago I went through some conversion activities.  This is what I
learned:

1) To upsize an Access database to SQL Server, use the SQL Server Migration
Assistant (SSMA) for Access.  This is a free MS utility which is more
advanced than using the upsizing wizard, and will upsize queries in Access
to Views in SQL Server.  The manual for this utility has some good
instructions for what needs to be done prior to upsizing.

2) On a LAN, the data transfer speed is perhaps 10% slower using Access FE /
SQL BE using ODBC table links.  However, on a LAN, no one will notice.  This
is an easy solution because your code can simply refer to the SQL table
links instead of the Access table links as long as the link names are the
same.

3) On a WAN, you don't want to use ODBC table links to SQL Server -
performance would be poor (but perhaps usable).  You'll want to use an OLEDB
Provider to make the connections.  Using an OLEDB Provider means that you'll
be rewriting your code significantly, because you won't have any table links
in the FE that your code can use!  This is a big learning curve - a good
start is 'Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server.'  This is an
older book that uses Access 2000, but it's still valid and very helpful to
learn the basics of moving data between the FE and the BE.  Another good
book is 'Access 2002 Enterprise Developer's Handbook'.  Once you get this
running, your data transfer speed will increase by at least 5X, probably
more like 10X.

Good Luck!
Dan