[dba-SQLServer] Determining Logged in Users?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Jul 10 11:24:12 CDT 2009

There is a system stored procedure sp_who which returns lots of details about current users
and processes.

Stripping the guts out of that procedure and tweaking it a bit I came up with this:

select distinct
       loginame=rtrim(loginame),
	   hostname,
	   dbname = db_name(dbid)
from  master.dbo.sysprocesses
where spid >= 0 and spid <= 32767 and dbid <> 0

You can refine it a bit further by limiting to it the name of the database you are interested in.