[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server "locks up"

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 10 07:58:48 CDT 2009

Francisco (and everyone trying to help),

Thanks for pointing me back to the pagefile.  I had just rebuilt this server and the first thing I
did was go in and set the page file size... to... 1200 mbytes.  Uhh.... ooops.  That should be 12
gbytes (12000 mbytes).  I had inadvertently left off a zero.

This will very likely explain the whole problem.

I upped that page file to 12000 mbytes and created a second page file on the same volume as the
database is on.  If I shouldn't do that (same volume as the db) let me know but I have read
somewhere to create multiple page files and let Windows take it's pick.

BTW, I have a very fast 32 gig SSD which I am using only 8 gigs of (working disk for virtual
machines).  I have read about issues using SSDs but have no direct experience using them for writing
to - my VMs only read from the drive.  So I could even place a pagefile out on the ssd.

BTW, I just did the same update hash fields operation on 50 million records in 21 minutes that it
took 3.5 HOURS to do yesterday on about 28 million records.  The page file size error was definitely
crippling the system.