[dba-SQLServer] NULLs

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:06:05 CDT 2009

A hospital is a good example -- you can have a patient in the system, but
not know anything about them, not even their name!

If you're really worried about nulls, you can force users to choose from a
set of null items: None, Unknown, and so on, which further forces problems
because you're forcing a data type, regardless of how you fill it.

Susan H.

I was simply giving an example of  how such a join might look.  Also, I
thought it would be odd for a company to hire an employee w/o already having
a position to fill, generally I've never seen this to be true, but possibly
does happen, just haven't ran into it myself.