[dba-SQLServer] Sufficient rights

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun May 31 17:01:08 CDT 2009

I rebuilt one of my servers from the ground up yesterday, OS, SQL Server etc.  Now when I try to
reattach the databases I get a "create file encountered operating system error 5" error.  When I
Google that I find things that say that the user that SQL Server is trying to use to open the files
doesn't have sufficient rights and was pointed to configuration manager / services.

I am in Configuration manager / services and the SQL Server Integration Services uses the NT
Authority \ Network Services user.  All the others use LocalSystem.

What user should all of these services use, and is this even the problem?  Do these services not
have sufficient rights?  These directories are on a raid array which is the only survives over a
rebuild, were created long ago by users long since killed (by system rebuilds).

TIA for your help.

BTW, I can create NEW databases (I tried), but cannot attach the existing databases.  And yes, I
detached the databases before I rebuilt the system.