[dba-SQLServer] Very Long Opening Time for SQL Express

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 21:31:41 CST 2009

check the size of the transaction logs, they maybe overgrown, and causes
slow performance, in general they ought to be 10% of the data files, to
shrink them do a

backup log databasename with truncate_only -- this empties the log but the
space is still reserved
followed by
dbcc shrinkfile ('transaction log logical name', 1) -- replace the 1 with
whatever 10% of your datafile is.