[dba-SQLServer] Multi-column Clustered index

Robert Stewart robert at webedb.com
Thu Oct 1 14:02:55 CDT 2009

Did you also read that the table is ordered in the same sequence as
the clustered index?

Try inserting Ansel Adams into your table with a clustered index like
you have, and it has to move the millions of records in it down
alphabetically in order to do it.  Disaster for performance.  If you
have static data where you are not inserting rows or updating columns
in the clustered index, and, you place in the clustered index on it
after you are finished getting the data into the table, it might work
well.  But never for a non-static data source.

No, you cannot get rid of the table and only have the index.