[dba-SQLServer] process suspended

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 23 06:46:09 CDT 2009

I have these stored procedures I run from Access, multi-step processes that import and export data
from SQL Server.  The code which executes these SPs run in Access running on the SQL server.  I
started an UPDATE process last night that I would have expected to complete by this morning but it
is not complete.

I found this thing called sp_who2 active which reports all active processes, very cool.

The UPDATE process running on Azul, started by Microsoft Office 2003 (Access AFAICT) is status
SUSPENDED.  However if I click execute over and over for this sp_who2 thing it shows cpu activity
and disk i/o going on this process.

So what does suspended mean?  Do I need to do something to unsuspend the process?  Will it finish
even though it is suspended?