[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server 2008 compression

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 10:38:30 CDT 2009

Compression backups?
one thing to remember is that if you run a backup to a backup device you
can't have an uncompressed backup with a compressed backup. as far as cost
it might be cheaper to invest in redgate's backup software wich is fast and
robust we use it here to backup our 2TB databases. for 295 you really can't
beat the price on other solutions... its definitely cheaper than going 2008
enterprise.

more info here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964719.aspx

alternitavely you may wish to use a free compression product such as:
http://www.idera.com/Products/Free-Tools/SQL-safe-Freeware-Edition/