[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server 2008 compression

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 12:30:03 CDT 2009

at the risk of sounding like a salesman, I couldn't agree more, the copyto
feature has been in the product since sql backup 5, but also one of the cool
new features that I like is the network resilience option, so if your backup
fails you can choose how many retries it does and how long you want the
process to pause for between re-tries.  very nice stuff indeed.

the tightest compression of course comes at a price and that is it takes a
lot of cpu and memory resources so it's good to run when the system is idle,
but if you have a high production system I always schedule log backups to
occur with the highest speed instead, that way a log backup does not tie up
resources for too long.

I haven't had a chance to test sql prompt 4 have you?  from what i've been
reading it's good stuff and faster than sql prompt3 which I do use and love
to use.

recently i moved away from Idera's Diagnostic Manager (an expensive
monitoring tool) and started using RedGates new Sql Response.  It actually
works better for me especially because I can keep track of my fragmented
tables in our SAP systems that literally have over 70k tables you want to
talk a database from hell? look no further.. this thing is a beast.