[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server 2008 compression

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 11 13:29:04 CDT 2009

Francisco,

I wrote a stored procedure to house the script for the Idera backup TSQL.  Ran it against one of my
order databases.  The database was 2.972 gb and the backup was 1.165 gb which is just under 40% of
the original file size.  This will help immensly!  I have databases that are 190 gigs, 170 gigs, 130
gigs etc.

Getting them down to 40% will allow me to store them on an "external" terabyte drive.

I will now build the restore script and try running it against my other server to see if I can
restore the db over on the second machine.

Good stuff!  Thanks for the pointer to the free software, it seems to work great.  This will relieve
the immense pressure of having huge databases and not having a plan for backups.  Depending on a
raid array (which I understand is NOT a backup plan) only gets you so far!