[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server 2008 compression

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 11 21:38:17 CDT 2009

Yep, I would but...

It is $800 and I pay for all my own stuff.  I can eventually charge it through but it takes awhile.

In the meantime I got the free Idera stuff working for now.  It is really fast, 80-100 mbytes /
second and compresses down to anywhere from 25% to 40% of the original size.

It took me about 1/2 hour to take the existing TSQL script that they provide and wrap it into a
stored procedure which basically passes in a database to back up, the path and the type and off it goes.

That would give me the "gui" and allow me to automate the whole shooting match.

I'm happy with what I have right now.