[dba-SQLServer] Idera Free backup

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Sep 12 08:42:49 CDT 2009

I wrote an SP wrapper to the backup script provided with the Idera Free backup.  I then wrote an SP
wrapper to call my backup SP feeding in the names of specific databases to backup.  Good enough for
now.

This thing is pretty darned fast!  I get anywhere from 80 mbytes / sec up to 160 mbytes / second.
Not sure what causes the rather radical spread.  What I can say is that I backed up almost a
terabyte of raw file size databases down to 234 gigs of backup file size, one file per database
backed up.  That was a full backup.  I didn't really track the full time but if you assume 100 megs
/ second that would be around 10,000 seconds or about  166.66 minutes,  or 2.75 hours.

I was happy with that time.

To answer the next question, I have not done a restore yet.  ATM these are on a raid array right on
the server being backed up.  I will be moving these off to a 1tb drive which will allow me to move
it easily to the other server.  I will have to install the free backup on the other server, and then
I will try to restore the databases.  I'll post again when that is done.