[dba-SQLServer] Reference table in different db

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 02:58:59 CDT 2010

Hello John,

[I am probably the king of]
Not probably John, you are the KING.

after re-reading your original post,I am sorry for waffling on, I was, in
fact, not answering your question at all.  And as I see now, was telling you
stuff that you could already write a book on.

While bowing out gracefully, can I just add, - just in case -
when you do somedatabase.sometable you need to write it with the scheme as
well, so usually, that is either of the following

somedatabase..sometable
or
somedatabase.dbo.sometable

of course if you use another schema, you would have to specify that.

Can I also mention that you can also link servers, and when you do, then you
can write queries such as

select * from customers C
inner join ServerBig.somedatabase.dbo.someorderstable O
on C.Id = O.CustomerId

or of course you could do a

Insert into ServerBig.somedatabase.dbo.someorderstable ...........

Hope to help, sorry for the irrelevant other stuff.

And, happy Easter Sunday.

Mark