[dba-SQLServer] Performance Monitoring

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 15:14:25 CDT 2010

I am currently using RedGate's Sql Response it's inexpensive and provides me
with the health monitoring tools I need.  I used to use Idera's Sql
Diagnostic Manager, but it's big slow and costs waaaay too much $$

I've liked sql response as you can configure it to also trace servers that
are problematic and you can trace down to problem areas.  I recently tried
out Ignite's performance intelligence, it's very price, but come in handy if
you have a server that is behaving really slow and you haven't been able to
determine what the problem was using just a trace (it's nothing special, but
it clearly navigates you to problem hardware or software issues) ie, in my
situation I had one server that appears to have a low load and I thought I
could just add another database, but after using ignite i found that the
problem was with my subsystem i/o.  Since the server was out of warranty our
helpdesk ordered up a new server with many more spindles and of course more
ram and cpu and now I house many more databases on this system.  so it was
kinda cool that I found the information by drilling down.  but the reason we
haven't bought it is because its very very pricey just like idera where they
want over $2k per instance...