[dba-SQLServer] CAL aware software

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Dec 21 10:49:07 CST 2010

Mark,

To be honest I think that the express version will work fine.  This client is very cost conscious.
they are using windows 2000 x32 on a quad core with 4 gigs of ram hosting the Access database BEs.
I have had to split the BEs into a handful of files because the total file size is pushing 2.5 gigs
of data.  IOW this is pretty much beyond Access' ability to be the data store.

So, I want to go to SQL Server.  Express is fine however I just get the feeling that running it on a
Windows 2K x32 machine with only 4 gigs is going to cause headaches.  So I am trying to discover
what the deal is for moving him to Windows 2003 or 2008 x64 so that we can get more memory in there.

I seriously doubt that full on SQL Server Standard is required however I am dubious about running
even a single instance of express on the existing hardware / OS, and I really don't want to go there
only to find it makes things even slower.