[dba-SQLServer] Login to sql server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jun 10 14:18:24 CDT 2010

I have a network at my home office which uses Windows for Workgroups networking.

I have two SQL Servers.  I am having issues getting an employee able to log in to the AZUL SQL
Server instance (running on the AZUL server machine) FROM a desktop machine.  He is able to remote
desktop in to the AZUL server, to his own user, and through that is able to open SQL Server
Management Studio and do stuff, and is able to use the C# program we are writing to do stuff.

 From his workstation, I AM able to log in as my own user, then open SSMS and log in to AZUL SQL
server instance.

Paul is unable to log in to the AZUL SS instance through SSMS.  He gets an error:

Cannot connect to Azul.

Cannot open user default database.  Login Failed.

Login failed for Azul\Paul.  SQL Server error 4064

This seems to imply that it has something to do with his user on the workstation, since he can log
in if he remote desktops in.  However the user name and password on the workstation is exactly the
same as the username on AZUL.

I don't know where to go next in troubleshooting this.