[dba-SQLServer] Dynamic SQL

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 20 12:54:44 CDT 2010

Exactly right Francisco.  I need to capture a snapshot of exactly what existed for that order and
then get back to that exact dataset later quickly and easily.  I also need to "mark up" those
records as I use them for a specific order.

I may use some or all of those records for a different "client" in a different order, but for the
original "client" they do not want to see records they have already purchased.  Thus as I send them
out I mark them as "used", but they are only "used" for that client, and in fact sometimes only for
that "order".

And while I am always willing to expound on the why, it really isn't possible to suggest a
"redesign" of the process without a LOT more information on what I am doing and why.  Don't get me
wrong, I do in fact modify my processes as I find better ways of doing things, but this is pretty
complicated stuff.

What I am trying to get is not "how do I make my process better" but rather "how can I use dynamic
SQL better".  They really are completely independent subjects, and I need info on the dynamic sql
side of the house.