[dba-SQLServer] Powerful servers are not rocket science

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 15 21:19:58 CDT 2010

Robert,

 > To get more detail, can you give us the details on where you got the case, motherboard, memory,
and cpu?

Certainly.  I buy from NewEgg.com.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105266
CPU HS/Fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114113
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139140

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021&cm_re=4u_rackmount_case-_-11-219-021-_-Product
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
Cable splitter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198019

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227551

These are the actual components that I purchased.

The splitter cable is required for most consumer grade power supplies as the motherboard requires
two of these connectors and apparently won't boot without both in place.  If you go with a server
grade ps it might have two of these connectors.

The case is definitely cheap consumer grade, but it works, especially in the latest iteration where
they have fixed the early problems.

The memory can be bought less expensively if you can go with 4 gig dimms:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134977

I was not paying for the system and decided to spend the extra to get the larger (8 gig) dimms so
that I could get 128G in the board if I needed to.

This motherboard will accept 1, 2, 4, or 8 DIMMs / CPU socket.  Understand that the CPU / socket has
4 memory channels so populating 4 DIMM sockets at a time will give you the best bandwidth.  I only
have 2 at the moment, for 2 channels / 16 gigs of memory (and one CPU).  I will likely populate up
to 64 gigs (8 DIMMS) with the one CPU and only populate the other socket if I see my system maxing
out the cores assigned to SQL Server.  If I do drop in the other CPU I would then just redistribute
1/2 the memory to the other socket (32 gigs / socket).

I keep two cores for the OS.  These two cores rarely work hard, though I have seen both cores at
about 50% when doing heavy writes to system files when SQL Server is working hard.  Normally though
they just idle along.

At this point SQL Server is occasionally using all 6 cores assigned to it and even then only to
about 60% capacity (the maximum average I have ever seen), so I still have ~40% of 6 cores left (in
terms of available processing power).  With my old quad core I would max out the two cores assigned
to SQL Server - 100% used - and that in many scenarios.

I bought the low end CPU because I couldn't justify the extra expense of the 12 core.  $750 for 12
core vs $275 for 8 core was a deal breaker for me.  It certainly appears that 8 cores is plenty for
my immediate needs, though I do think I could use more memory for the size of my database tables and
the stuff I do.

If you need the 12 core CPU though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105267

Supposedly the AMD Bulldozer will be a drop in replacement for these CPUs when it is released next year.

I am also using the 16 channel Areca raid controller with 2 gigs ECC disk cache.  Highly recommended
if you have that kind of need.  I have about 12 terabyte drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

I have been using these for a couple of years and I just had my first failure of these drives.  The
nice thing about a dedicated raid controller is that you can just have hot spares in place and it
will notify you of the failure and automatically rebuild (using the hot spare) in the event of a
failure.  And you can walk in to Best Buy and buy a replacement.