[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server 2005 - Cursors Or Not Cursors

Asger Blond ab-mi at post3.tele.dk
Thu Sep 23 11:13:32 CDT 2010

Paul,
You can use a subquery to make this update. Following example uses a Common Table Expression and the Rank function Row_Number():

WITH cte (RowNumber, StartCode, EndCode) AS
(SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY PersonID), StartCode, EndCode FROM YourQuery)
UPDATE cte SET StartCode =
(SELECT EndCode FROM cte AS cte2
WHERE cte.RowNumber > 1 AND cte.RowNumber = cte2.RowNumber+1)

Asger