[dba-SQLServer] Mirroring SQL DB's over the internet (as opposed to the LAN)

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 10:48:26 CDT 2011

Hello All,

I recently set up a mirror of a db over the Lan and was shocked at how easy
it is to do.

I wonder whether it is feasible to run a mirror over a DSL line.  Would it
be terrible performance - is it usually only used over LAN speeds?

I know I can just try it, but just in case you have any advice it will be
welcome,

In case you do not know,the steps are

1) switch recovery mode to Full
2) backup full db
3) restore full db to another server but set restore mode to "Restore with
no recovery".  It is the second radio button on same pane where you click
"Verify backup".
4) On the properties tab of your main db, go to mirroring, use the wizard to
click through about four steps where you set the authentication and bingo
you have a mirrored server.
note:  I skipped the option of a witness server.

Once you do that,  you have a red hot backup of your main db at all times.

thanks

Mark