[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server Book

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Aug 19 22:53:38 CDT 2011

Two instances of SQL Server, means that you have  two separate installations od the
database engine running concurrently on the same machine

The first time you instal SQL Server on a machine, it is automatically installed as  the "Default
Instance".   You can then do a complete  instal  of SQL Server again, this time as a "Named
Instance"  where you specify a different name and different port(s) for it to operate on.

The concept was introduces with SQL Server 2000.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa174516%28v=sql.80%29.aspx

--
Stuart