[dba-SQLServer] MySQL question

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Thu Dec 1 01:02:23 CST 2011

Thanks guys,

I could login, and I found the show databases command. No database
installed.
I have referred the issue back to their support people.
Show give me some time to get my head around it all.

Cheers

Michael M

For starters, try to log in using the command line tool. If you make it
that far, enter "show databases". You will get at least one ("test") and
perhaps more. Assuming you get that far, try a Create Database command
and
see what happens.

As far as copying the client's database, the specifics will pertain to
which engine is in use.

HTH,
Arthur

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Michael Maddison <
michael at ddisolutions.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I know this is slightly OT but...
>
> My client was supposed to install a 3rd party app and set it's
database
> up as SQL Server.
> However events have occurred and now they have a MySQL database they
> want me to use!
> I've never used MySQL as a datasource but I'll assume it should be ok.
> only have to read, no writes, which is something I suppose.
>
> I'm downloading 5.5 and the Workbench for testing here.
>
> I only have access to the clients pc with MySQL installed using
> TeamViewer, basically a remote desktop tool for those not on the
domain.
> When I look at the 3rd party apps options page the database stuff IS
NOT
> SETUP.
> How can I tell if the database is in fact installed?  Only the command
> line client is installed. I REFUSE to do any installations of tools on
> their PC...
>
> Is there a simple way to backup their database (if it exists) and then
> load it here?
> They only gave me the password to MySQL. Which does work in the
command
> line tool, not that I know what to do with it :-/
>
> Sorry for the OT.
>
> Cheers
>
> Michael M

Cell: 647.710.1314