[dba-SQLServer] Deleted my own user, can't log in

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 23 14:31:41 CST 2011

Stuart,

It seems that I was previously logging on and doing things as my windows login user.

When I shut down the SQL Server express instance, the next time i tried to log in to that instance,
I was unable to do so because of the "unknown user" issue.

I tried to log in using the SQL Server security as the sa user and voila, I am in and able to see
the databases.

Now... I just installed full on SQL Server 2008 to this machine.  It is the developer edition which
acts like the enterprise edition - full compression and everything.  But the Express edition does
not allow that stuff.

Apparently the express version is R2 and it is what I developed these databases in.  The dev version
I own is non-R2 and can't open the databases created by the Express (R2) version.

I found something on the internet saying that I would have to "export backwards" whatever that means.

I also have to get ownership or access valid to users or groups other than sa.