[dba-SQLServer] Server upgrade

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jul 2 00:36:37 CDT 2011

Awhile back I built a server based on the ASUS KGPE-D16 dual socket G34

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643

and a single 8 core AMD 6128

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105266

with 32 gigs of RAM using the Kingston KVR1333D3D4R9S/8G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139140

While I was at it I built a 2 drive SSD Raid 0 using OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX120G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227705

to place my central databases on.

Backup is everything (!) but it has been fault free so far, and pretty darned fast!

But I started filling up the disk (in fact twice had a "disk full") so this week I ordered an ASUS
PIKE 1068E raid controller

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816110042

And 4 more SSDs using the Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL120GB-DX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226152

I just finished the install.  I created a 4 disk raid 0 on the 1068 E controller and moved the data
files onto that volume and left the log files on the original raid 0 SSD volume.

I understand that I must keep backups in place due to the RAID 0 failure scenario.  However these
databases are primarily read-only, with approximately monthly updates so the data is relatively
static.  Given that they are primarily read-only the high IOPS and low latency getting at the data
makes an enormous performance difference with manageable risk.  I am getting the typical ATTO graphs
you would expect with a 4 drive SSD Raid 0, in the neighborhood of 700 GBPS for the large block
transfers, both read and write.

I am impatiently waiting for the Interlagos to arrive, though I may not be able to afford them at
first.  OTOH the price of the RAM has dropped substantially in the 8 months since I built the server
so buying another 32 gigs soon is definitely doable.

Doing an AB comparison with the old system is impractical nut i can tell you I am running processes
in a few minutes that used to take a half hour or more.  Sometimes much more.  It is gratifying to
watch 8 cores running at 80+ % at times.

I can also say that backing up a 60 gig database file with high compression from SSD to rotating
media is *really* fast.

I can't say that SSDs would be the answer for transaction processing systems but for my purposes
they really do rock.