[dba-SQLServer] How to set up Performance Monitor

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jul 28 07:59:37 CDT 2011

I am running Windows 2008 and SQL Server 2008.  I want to set up performance monitor to tell me how
I am doing on memory, cache etc.  When i go to perf monitor it shows a ton of counters which breaks
down things (apparently) by the service or something.  For SQL Server I have:

SQLAgent
:Jobs
:jobSteps
:Statistics

SQLServer
:Access methods
:BackupDevice
:broker Activation

etc.

This is just a ton of stuff and I haven't a clue what is important and what is not.

Can anyone point me to something that discusses this in an understandable format along with how to
set up Perf Monitor for the basics?

Thanks,