[dba-SQLServer] Using the hash for real world problems

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Mar 19 08:55:51 CDT 2011

I got into the hashing business in order to create a surrogate key of sorts, in fact a trio of them.

I have an address hash, a family hash and a person hash.  I compute these three hashes for every
table of persons.  Now that I have these surrogate keys I have "identical" values in a single field
where the input is identical in multiple fields.  Thus I do not have to do multi-field joins where I
have a hash for all of those fields.

I am happy to hear that I am secure in my surrogate hash algorithm choice.

OK, so I have these hashes.  Every record has these three hashes.

Now some definitions:

HashAddr: A unique address is addr/zip5/zip4 different
HashFamily: A unique family is LName/Addr/Zip5/Zip4 different
HahsPerson: A unique person is FName/LName/Addr/Zip5/Zip4 different.

Using this information, I need to calculate the count of addresses with a single person, with two
persons etc for as many combinations as I have.

Addresses	People
22,538,240	1
780,462,346	2
52,234		3 people
etc
etc till every quantity of people is found.

What is the simplest way to accomplish this with SQL.