[dba-SQLServer] MySQL question

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Wed Nov 30 01:56:36 CST 2011

Hi Guys,

I know this is slightly OT but...

My client was supposed to install a 3rd party app and set it's database
up as SQL Server.
However events have occurred and now they have a MySQL database they
want me to use!
I've never used MySQL as a datasource but I'll assume it should be ok. I
only have to read, no writes, which is something I suppose.

I'm downloading 5.5 and the Workbench for testing here.

I only have access to the clients pc with MySQL installed using
TeamViewer, basically a remote desktop tool for those not on the domain.
When I look at the 3rd party apps options page the database stuff IS NOT
SETUP.
How can I tell if the database is in fact installed?  Only the command
line client is installed. I REFUSE to do any installations of tools on
their PC...

Is there a simple way to backup their database (if it exists) and then
load it here?
They only gave me the password to MySQL. Which does work in the command
line tool, not that I know what to do with it :-/

Sorry for the OT.

Cheers

Michael M