[dba-SQLServer] Microsoft is moving ahead

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sat Oct 15 01:58:22 CDT 2011

Hey Arthur,

Have you considered maybe going down a more conventional route, instead of RoR. RoR is pretty awesome, but it takes a lot of investment upfront to understand all the abstract concepts and all the scaffolding, which folks who have been there since early Ruby days take for granted, since they've seen it evolve.

I might suggest instead something like Python + Django or, if you haven't got a deep-seated, irrational hatred of PHP, something like Symfony (my personal favourite) or Zend Framework. All of these are very fine web frameworks, which do a good job of taking out all the tediousness of web development. But, no matter what, you will still need to learn few basic abstract concepts (and I'm not making any assumptions of your knowledge or capability) like MVC and basic patterns. If its not something you are already familiar with, its something you will find invaluable for any future software project you take on, regardless of language or goal.

RoR is a lot of this, just plus a ton of scaffolding that takes time before its intuitive (plus - python and php are much more familiar languages; similar to C compared to Ruby), which is why perhaps it has a bit of a learning curve.

- Hans

>>> integration_sql_ser<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/12/microsoft_hadoop_integration_sql_ser>