[dba-SQLServer] SharePoint (was: Off The Beaten Path)

jm.hwsn jm.hwsn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 08:52:16 CDT 2011

In another life... before I landed a contract for 100% Access 2007 work, I
worked extensively in SharePoint.

I've seen it used primarily for document storage.  Similar to a shared
network drive, the difference is that anyone that has access to the site can
use the documents.  It does not matter where the user is located.

I've seen it used as a data repository for an Access database.  Each user
had a local copy of the FE and regardless of location (next room or across
the country) the Access FE tapped into the repository with any glitches. In
this case the primary user was down the hall, however, the client was two
states away. Both could access the data and modify it at the same time
without issues.

The company I worked for used it primarily Contract and / or proposal
management.  In one case there was 84 sub-contractors for one contract.
These companies were all over the U.S. From Alaska and Hawaii to Washington
D.C.  During the proposal stage each sub-contractor could modify their part
of the proposal and review changes made by the others and/or make comments
on the changes. After the contract was in place, the site was used to manage
the sub-contractors and ensure each company was able to get work.  Invoices,
etc. was passed from sub-contractor to prime without problems.
Each sub-contractor had access to a site designated for them and to
read-only to the main site.  They could not "see" the sites for the other
companies.
Granted it was expensive because of the CALs required.

I think it is a good tool, but it can get expensive.  Once the site is up
and configured, it's easy to maintain.
It's all run in SQL Server.  Ideally, it should be run on at a minimum of
two servers.  Web-server and data server.

>From my foggy memory of a few years ago.

Jim