[dba-SQLServer] SSMS priority

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Sep 17 13:43:28 CDT 2011

LOL, yep.  I have a server with about 16 hard drives, plus a 16 port raid controller, plus two amd
6128 processors plus eight 8 gb dimms.

Plenty of heat generated there.

After the blue screen i changed the fan wall between the disks and the motherboard area, changing to
thhree 120 mm fans.  That helped a lot.  Went back to my jet engine exhaust fans.  They are loud but
pull tons of air out of the case.

The processor hsf is the real issue.  I have ordered an adapter to use a 120mm fan on those.  That
will get as much air blowing on them as I am ever going to get.

I think I need to remove and reinstall the hsf on both sockets.  One is 10 degrees C hotter than the
other.  Something wrong there.