[dba-SQLServer] SSMS priority

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 19 16:32:21 CDT 2011

Mark,

I run it at whatever temp it runs at.  ;)

I had moved the main server as well as my UnRaid server to the basement to get the noise and heat
out of my office.  I surrounded it with a plywood wall to keep inquisitive fingers out.  It turns
out that by taking the end piece of plywood off (the hot exhaust side) I managed to drop the temps
by several degrees,

So now it is running at 52C idle and about 61C under full load.  And I managed to assign another two
cores to SQL Server without pushing the temps up to the blue screen point.

At this moment I have 14 cores maxed out.  88% processor utilization of a 16 core server, with 35.6
gigs of Ram in use.

BTW I was just checking the times to perform some of my process.  I had built two "temp" databases
on rotating media and was doing a process which carves out 1 million records and writes them to
file.  It was taking about 10-15 minutes per file to do that.  This afternoon I moved those
databases to my SSD and the times are down to about 4-5 minutes.  Given that I have to build 157 of
these files for this particular job, that makes a huge difference.