[dba-SQLServer] [AccessD] MySQL

Jim Lawrence jlawrenc1 at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 20 19:23:49 CDT 2011

You are living out of stream John.

I know of a number of people now who are working with such technology and
very successfully, I might add, but the technology is not Main Street, as it
is not advertised similar to Linux. It will take longer to be common
knowledge, as there is no huge advertising machine behind Open Source
products.

Our provincial government has been working with Google to build a huge land
database and the results are stellar. Milliseconds to pull all data on any
encumbrances on a lot or parcels of lots. Before, running with the
traditional SQL technologies it would take hours to get the same results.
People working with the new system thought it was broken at first as the
results were so fast...now they have become use to instantaneous
gratification. The interesting thing is that the new system is using the old
hardware as the project was supposed to be just a test...some test.

A few years ago, I installed a blade, painted indigo and marked Google, at
the legislator. The box was supposed to take all the comments from the
sessions, translate them into text and then allow anyone to pull the
comments back from any time within that session. Again, standard SQL had
been tried and had failed...and again instantaneous gratification.

There are many other instananeous of this type Reduces map technology is
being used but it is only for situations where huge chunks of data need to
pull results from very complex queries and quickly. It is also for someone
with a limited budget as NOSQL databases do not need place holder fields for
partially filled rows. This generally translates into a complex set of data
filling less than half the space of a traditional SQL DB and therefore less
hardware.

There are even new hybred data solutions coming out where both Map Reduce
and traditional SQL are being used to extract data.

" ...LexisNexis is releasing a set of open-source, data-processing tools
that it says outperforms Hadoop and even handles workloads Hadoop presently
can't. The technology (and new business line) is called HPCC Systems... "

http://gigaom.com/cloud/lexisnexis-open-sources-its-hadoop-killer/

Jim