[dba-SQLServer] Fwd: [AccessD] MySQL

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:52:15 CDT 2011

Hello Hans-Christian,

Thank you for your detailed and interesting response to John's questions.

I have been reading on my kindle a few of the PDF's on ubuntu over the last
week or two.

One additional reason that I want to play with Linux is simply because it is
there.  I want to be part of the evolution of the linux world.  I make my
living on SQL Server and do not see a time in the near future that I can
switch, but I am enjoying learning a new technology.  It makes me feel like
in 1988 when I was learning what DIR, CD\ and Copy *.* did.

I purchased a new HP all in one office jet last Friday to replace my aging
noisy A3 laser printer.  Of course it comes with Windows software.  On the
family computer that I recently switched to Ubuntu 11.04, I sat down to
install it, wondering whether it would be possible.  I was quite surprised
when an hour later, I was scanning and printing wirelessly from Ubuntu to a
shiny new HP scanner.

Did I mention already here on the list that I have recently built a few
ultra cheap pc's?  AMD Dual Core Athlon, 1 GB Ram, smallest disk I can buy,
cheap and nasty case with integrated PSU and then installed Ubuntu.  The
whole machine costs approx €130 - €150.  I am imaging the saving on hardware
and software a company could make with 10 or 20 non-power users.  The
performance was absolutely perfect BTW, as good as my i7 with Win7 that cost
well over €1000.

Mark