[dba-SQLServer] Cheap computers

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 26 06:59:41 CDT 2011

 > Did I mention already here on the list that I have recently built a few ultra cheap pc's?

AMD's new generation of integrated CPU/GPU will give even more power for cheap.  The cores are
essentially the same as the current gen AMD cores but the graphics processors are extremely powerful.

BTW I have just ordered a pair of seagate momentus xt hybrids and a Windows 7 family pack to upgrade
my wife's and my laptops.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Hybrid-ST95005620AS-Bare/dp/B
003NSBF32/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316863239&sr=1-1

These specific disks have a long history of problems but Seagate appears to be aggressively
addressing the issues trying to work the kinks out.  It seems that they are now generally problem
free and they seem to work well for what they do - speeding up system and program startup.

I am hoping that between the disk and Windows 7, I can get a couple of more years out of these laptops.