[dba-SQLServer] Restoring backups

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 29 13:17:40 CST 2012

Does anyone know of a utility to track backups of a database from the full, each differential and
the log file backups and allow you to just point to one of the above backups and restore each piece
in order?  IOW if I do a full backup Sunday night, a differential every weekday night, and log
backups every 1/2 hour, I would like to point to the a log file backup somehow (in a table?) and
have the software understand that the backup chain for that log backup starts at the Sunday night
full and progresses through each intermediary backup?  So I could click a button and restore down
through the backup chain.

Does such a thing exist?  Is such a thing even possible?

For the moment I am using the scripts from here:

http://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-backup.html

They appear to perform exactly as claimed.  I am able to get Full, DIFF and LOG backups easily and
quickly.  What I am missing is the ability to restore these things easily and quickly.  Restoring a
full is easy, after that not so easy.

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it