[dba-SQLServer] What would you do?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 10:28:11 CST 2012

Can you hold your head high? Good question, but ultimately my answer is
Yes. Frankly, I don't understand the FE developers' aversion to DBs.
Frankly I don't understand it. SQL, T-SQL, Pl/SQL, etc. are just about the
easiest languages to learn: compared with C# or C++, SQL variants are
drop-dead simple -- four commands, with clauses and/or predicates! How
could it get simpler?

But the reluctance to master these commands is what keeps folks like you
and me in business. (Don't let the secrets out!)

As to PITA (Point In Time Architecture), there are two basic ways to get
There from Here:

1. Do incremental backups very often; and
2. Do full backups very often; and
3. If you need to transport the changes elsewhere, use Log Shipping.

(An old joke: there are 3 kinds of DBAs: those who can count and those who
cannot.)

Arthur

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Mark Breen <marklbreen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Gustav and John,
>
> Funny, I was discussing John's log file with my wife last night at 11:30 pm
> :)
>
> I said the same thing, unless you need to step back to a point in time,
> just detach the db, copy the MDF only, zip and and download it and then
> reattach only the mdf and allow SSMS to automatically recreate an empty log
> file.
>
> I rarely leave databases in Full recovery mode, unless the client is
> capable of restoring to a point in time.
>
> re Databases -  I sometimes feel like the poor cousin because I am more
> into databases than programming?  Am I just a script kiddie or can I hold
> my head proudly?
>
> Mark
>
> --
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Werner Heisenberg