[dba-SQLServer] There are uncommitted transactions

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jul 27 06:23:48 CDT 2012

SQL Server appears to be hanging for a batch job.  I am wrapping a group of processes in a
transaction.  It processes dozens of these things then... suddenly it stops.  I cannot get it to
start again.  If i exit SSMS it pops up a message:

  "there are uncommitted transactions.  Do you wish to commit these transactions before closing the
window?"

I say yes, it performs a commit, and I can go right back in to SSMS and start up this process and it
takes off and runs.

So what is SSMS doing to commit these "uncommitted transactions"?  And can I do that same thing in TSQL?

I wrap the transaction group in a

Begin Transaction
Do stuff
Do more stuff