[dba-SQLServer] Displaying SQL Server Time(7) in Access

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 6 07:01:37 CDT 2012

Gustav,

 > "Stopped all that"?

I do so little Access these days and even less Access with SQL Server that I really don't keep
current on it.  Because my framework is "bound" it can drill down to discover the data type of every
control on a (bound) form.  I then built stuff in the framework (years ago) to "standardize"
handling dates by inserting a fixed format string (for display) and input mask (for data entry).
All of that is automatic unless I over-ride it, which can be nice since I can apply a standard to
every form that the framework manages for me without having to find and fix these properties manually.

Thus part of my problem was that I used the time(7) date type in SQL Server, but even after fixing
that by moving back to the DateTime in SQL Server my framework was still applying a *date* format
and data entry string to the controls on these forms.  I had placed the format and input masks I
wanted in the control properties but the framework was helpfully "standardizing" them for me back to
"date".  Once I told the framework not to do that the problem was solved.

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it