[dba-SQLServer] Script Seems To Be Stuck in an Infinite Loop - Or Just Stuck

David McAfee davidmcafee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:10:43 CST 2012

I didn't have a chance to look at your code, but this is something I have
used in the past:

ALTER  FUNCTION dbo.isPrime (@i INT) RETURNS BIT AS
BEGIN
DECLARE @b BIT
DECLARE @n INT
    SET @b=1
    SET @n=@i-1

    WHILE (@n>1)
    BEGIN
      IF @i%@n = 0
      BEGIN
           SET @b=0
           SET @n=1
      END
      SET @n=@n-1
     END
     RETURN @b
END
GO

/*
Call in this manner:
SELECT dbo.isPrime (1), dbo.isPrime (2), dbo.isPrime (17), dbo.isPrime
(21), dbo.isPrime (23), dbo.isPrime (1021)
*/