[dba-SQLServer] Using the CLR with SQL Server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Sep 2 12:22:23 CDT 2012

I hate to say it but SQL Azure is just the cloud counterpart to SQL Server.  There are a millions of
local SQL Server instances which can use help in things that TSQL is not optimized for.

In my specific case today, I have a field in a table returned to me by third party software.  This
field has one or more (up to 6 or 8 possibly) comma separated error codes.  I need to split these
error codes and analyze them against a table of these error codes and make decisions about what to
do with the record based on these codes.  Simple right?  Except I have to do this against a billion
records a month.  Suddenly doing this the RBAR way or in fact any way which isn't waaaay speedy is a
non-starter.

C# is optimized for these kinds of string functions and can provide among the fastest possible
solutions (or so I am reading).  As it happens, I do not use SQL Azure nor do I intend to anytime in
the near future so I am not making decisions like this based on whether SQL Azure supports my solution.

I think that you are right, it is not mainstream, though I suspect that much of the reason is that
SQL Server types are not C# programmers and so it is not familiar to them.  As a developer with a
foot in both camps it seems a natural fit for me.

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it