[dba-SQLServer] Previous versions of SQL

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 03:24:31 CDT 2012

Hi Arthur,

one reason you need the old versions is to be able to do a restore of a
database, work on it and then hand that file back to another person that is
still running 2008 R2.

It is a PITA.  It you neighbour asks you to restore, update and give back
his SQL file, you will only be able do give it back as SQL 2012.  In MS
Word you can do File >> Save As.  I did not figure out how to do that
(without scripts) for SQL Server.

It makes upgrading a challenge.

I guess thats what VMs are for.

Mark