[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Apr 24 02:20:19 CDT 2013

 Hi All --

I'm trying to create an ODBC connection on a Win7 Hyper-V VM for an MS SQL database handled by a default MS SQL Server 2012 instance running on Win8 on a real PC hosting Hyper-V, and I'm getting the following error messages:

Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 10060
[Micorsoft][ODBC Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Micorsoft][ODBC Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

MS SQL Server 2012 has mixed security mode. I'm using Homegroup MS Windows network type.

Win7 Hyper-V VM has also MS SQL 2008 R2 SQLExpress named instance: when I'm using MS SQL Server Management Studio from this Win-7 Hyper-V VM's MS SQL 2008 R2 Express instance I *can* connect to MS SQL Server 2012 instance using the same MS SQL Server standard/mixed security mode User Id and Password.

I know about http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306, I fif read it (but I can't say that I read it all), I have checked that MS SQL Server connection over TCP/IP uses 1433 port.

I have had expected that ODBC connection would have been created as flawlessly as I can connect another MS SQL Server instance using MS SQL Server Management Studio. The issue is that I do no see clearly stated reasons while connection fails. Do you know about any (tracing) tools, which will give me more information to find the cause(s) and to fix the subject issue?

Thank you.

-- Shamil