[dba-SQLServer] Recursive Queries in Microsoft SQL Server 2008

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 08:39:34 CDT 2013

Gustav,

Following the WITH is the name of the alias being defined, along with its
parameter, and its definition follows the first AS. Now jump down to the
INNER JOIN line, and notice that it's calling itself (i.e. the alias just
defined).

So each row has a menuid and also a parentid. What the JOIN does is link
the child rows to their parent using their parentid to their parent's
menuid. In other words it's a self-join; the table is joined to itself. The
child rows' parentid contains the menuid that identifies its parent row.
Because it's an INNER JOIN, eventually it will fail, in which case you've
traversed the tree all the way to its outermost leaves.

Does that help?

Arthur