[dba-SQLServer] Appending Data with AutoNumber in SQL Server

Jeff B jeff.developer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 10:55:54 CDT 2014

I am going to post this in the Access group as well, as a separate email.

I am trying to use MS Access queries to append data from a table in one SQL
database into a table in a second SQL database.  The first contains live
data that needs to be moved to a test database.  I have deleted all of the
data from the tables in the second database, and have reset the auto number
(or identity in SQL) back to 0.  However, when I try and use an Access
append query, it fails and tells me there are key violations.  I thought
that be deleting all data and reseeding the identity, I would avoid these
problems.  Anyone know what I need to do in order to make this work?

Jeff Barrows

MCP, MCAD, MCSD

Racine, WI

jeff.developer at gmail.com