[dba-SQLServer] Design first without Id column - was Arthurs thread

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 19:06:26 CDT 2014

Hi Arthur and everyone else,

Changing the subject slightly here

May I draw everyones attention to a fascinating concept I saw in a
presentation I had two years ago at an SQLSaturday event.

A brilliant database lady, whose name escapes me tortured the room by
challenging our existing methods of doing things.  I will not list all the
'rules' that she demonstrated could and should be broken but eventually she
got onto the natural / artificial pk design.

She eventually admitted that she always uses an artificial key for
implementation but she completes all her db designs initially without and
artificial keys.

By building a preliminary db without any Id cols, she instructed that it
forces us to really identify what data is being stored and related in in
each table.  By doing a design without the Id columns,  you need to get
your data correct.  Once you are done, then she adds in the Ids and git's
to coding.

I am not suggesting stop using Ids, but it is a neat idea in the design to
attempt it without those columns.  Theory is that when you cannot, you
possible do not fully have the db design correct yet.

Of any interest?

Mark