[dba-SQLServer] PK/ANPK Debate

Jim Lawrence jlawrenc1 at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 13 13:02:10 CDT 2014

Hi Guys:

To my understanding the issues around bound and unbound and SQL and NoSQL are basically the same.

A bound database was practical and possible when the database or number of users was small but beyond a certain size; in the case of default MS Access, fifty users was pushing it and the ability to maintain such a system was impractical.

This is the same with SQL. When the database reaches a certain size or the data reaches a certain level of complexity, the ability to retrieve a specific data set can be very time consuming as the SQL engine is really grinding. SQLs great weakness is the limits on join complexity and the inflexibility of the schema. (I have first hand experience crippling a big Oracle server...)

So neither of the bound-unbound or the SQL-NoSQL is wrong but the context in which these methods are used are dictated by the number of users and the amount of data to be managed.

Jim

PS: Mark I would really like to know all your experiences with MongoDB. As I now have a 64bit server class motherboard with 32GB of RAM and as soon as the server is assembled MongoDB will be one of my first experiments. :-)