[dba-SQLServer] sql2005 express to standard

J- P jnatola at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:16:06 CDT 2014

Ram is the issue , they say you need 1.8 cpu & 2 gigs of RAM, where express only allows 1gb. The other issue is that software is only "officially certified" up to sql 2008r2 , meaning that even if 2012 express  were more efficient its still not "officially supported"

Allthough there are aproximtley 200 employees, the normal daily workload (punch in , punch out etc..) will be on the average 40-60 employees, each one punching in & out anywhere from 2 to 4 times a day e.g. a short shift arrival punch in, departure punch out, in contrast a full shift would have; arrival , lunch , departure.

On the BUSIEST days of the year maybe, at MOST 120 employees, this only happens maybe 4 or 5 days a year, and one supervisor generating a report, or payroll etc..

The software primary function is;

Provides real-time   information to help managers control overtime and stay within budget.
                            Automatically creates and   distributes employee schedules.
An online timesheet for employees, Employee Self Service empowers employees while reducing   workload for HR.
An online time tracker for supervisors, Manager Self Service lets supervisors track and manage   their workforce.
Leave management   automates employee requests for time away from their work schedules.

The software will be linked to the in-house DB so that when a job is spec'd they will have actual labor costs rather than having to make manually enter X= hours for setup, X hours for onsite , X hours for strike etc...

If in fact I go the express and for whatever reason it is not handling the load, would the upgrade be a simple backup db from express, restore db to full?

thanks again